Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Thelma Gets Sick!


I have many things to write about my beautiful hens.  We've had a very eventful two years.  In April of 2011, I appeared in a newspaper article, talking about how wonderful backyard hens are.  The director of city planning in my town saw the article and pulled me into a nightmare.  She had the Code Enforcement Officer cite me in May.  My little Easter article put my girls in danger.  The Saturday that I received that article, I knew that my days with my hens were numbered.  But the next posts over the next few weeks will tell about our adventures together and the friends who came into our lives.  Anyway, this summer, we had a very hot summer and Thelma ended up getting bumblefoot and a belly problem.  So, I took her to an exotic animal and bird wellness center staffed by one of the world's best avian veterinarians and a vet who used to serve the Toledo Zoo.  The avian vet is also the animal welfare veterinarian for research animals at BGSU.  So, that was an adventure in and of itself.

This summer I learned how to take good care of my girls.  Every day, four times a day, for over 30 days, I had to give my girls pills and syringes and rub ointment on their feet.  We learned how to trust and love each other even more through that work.  I love my girls!