Friday, October 26, 2007

Tiny Hoofprints! Preparing for Baby

I am writing this first "Tiny Hoofprints" entry on a beautiful crisp morning on September 29th. I've just returned from the Farmers Market where I bought a large amount of organic beef and some chicken and pork tamales to freeze. And I just ate a breakfast of Fried Green Tomatoes with homemade Remoulade Sauce and French Bread crumbs. I am about to go visit and ride my Violet and deliver her Saturday morning carrots.

I just can't believe how fortunate I am. Hailee has been living in beautiful Paris, Kentucky since May 2006. This past spring, on Mother's Day Weekend, she was inseminated on a second attempt to have a foal by Blue Who. This cover took and so now my beautiful Hailee is getting ready to be a mom.

Her stall is being prepared for her at Breezy Acres. Barbie is taking care of her and letting her enjoy the life of a broodmare in Kentucky. Dr. Zimmerman has been asked to assist with the mom and new foal. And my job is to get ready. I've been busy thinking about names and pulling together my horse handbooks on gestation and parturition. And these Tiny Hoofprints Blog entries will document my preparations and thoughts about this exciting adventure.

Horses take 11 months to gestate, so Hailee will come up here in March sometime for her late April, early May delivery! Jackie is looking forward to being an Uncle and godfather, and Violet is looking forward to being an Aunt!