Friday, October 7, 2011

Renny and Dressage



I started taking dressage lessons from Janet Harms and Jane Kelly because I wanted to improve my riding to bring Renny along.  I was talking about that motivation with Janet last night and she affirmed my need . She was great.  She said that I wanted to be able to respond quickly with a precise aid and correction, so that he doesn't have the opportunity to work incorrectly for five minutes and then get confused by my request for a late change.  This is exactly the problem I'd been having with him.  He bulges out at the left, is hard to come to a halt, and is heavy-footed about upward transitions because I've permitted that behavior.  But I am working on more training rides -- riding him with softness but strength, and with discipline, purpose and focus!