Monday, February 27, 2012

A New Year!


s
Here are July photos and video of Kelsey training little Renny.  I am writing this entry on November 23, 2011.  It's a beautiful Fall day.  The sun is low in a clear blue pale sky.  The neighborhood crows just alighted from a tall tree near my office window.  Thelma and Louise are eating tomatoes for an afternoon snack.  My pets are sleeping in bed.  I have a beautiful flower arrangement before me from Uncle Carlo's funeral.  And I spent a productive day balancing my checkbook, paying bills, writing thank you and condolence notes, and resting.  And I am grateful.  Grateful beyond measure.  Because a year ago today I received a letter from a good samaritan who saved Hailee from a livestock auction.  I will never forget receiving that letter and feeling so shaken to my very soul that my beautiful mare was not safe.  I was so upset that I had put Hailee in the hands of a careless coward and a cruel sadist.  But a good samaritan not only rescued her, but went the extra mile of writing me a letter and befriending me.  Hailee didn't disappear from my life and I was even able to visit her.

And even better, over this past year, I've learned so much and benefitted from friendships and family.  Lex came to my home and cared for me and my herd.  Lillian became a special Aunt to Renny and friend to me.  Lisa picked me up at the airport in Atlanta and set off my weekend adventure with good spirits and fellowship.  Paula was a kind person who befriended me, showed me her art which included a painting of Hailee, and wrote me a letter saying she'd be a friend.  My mom and dad who said that I needed to go see Hailee and make sure all was well.  Danielle and Elena who were quite happy to simply believe that the coward and sadist were just plain awful. 

I learned so much about how love is like grass -- it can break through concrete.  I'm glad the year has passed.  It took me most of this year to finally put down my anger and hurt -- I still have some white hot flashes of those emotions. But even with some of those ghost emotions lingering, I can see that my life is rich with friendships, kindnesses, and good samaritans.  And that is why I think of today as a special day to celebrate G*d's grace and Good Samaritans.