Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Whistlejacket and George Stubbs


Both Hailee and Violet are related to Whistlejacket, foaled in 1749. He was a very famous sire, most famous for a victory in a race of over 4 miles for 2,000 Guineas at York in August 1759. The 2nd Marquess of Rockingham commissioned the very famous artist, George Stubbs to paint this crazy, wild, unmanageable stallion in 1762. Hailee and Violet are related to him through their Byerly Turk line, and the Byerly Turk's son Basto.
I had the joyful opportunity to see this gigantic painting of both my girls' relative at The National Gallery at Trafalgar Square London when I visited London with my lovely Aunt Vicki and our dear friend, Marty Baum. We stayed at Claridge's where I bumped (I mean careened) into David Duchovny! But that's another story!
Anyway, I remember very clearly how lovely the Lion statues were at Trafalgar Square, and having an espresso, and then seeing this painting, standing in awe, overwhelmed by its immense size and by its beauty. To be there in London before this creation. And at the time, Barbie was taking care of my sweet Hailee and Violet was just an itty bitty baby who hadn't joined our family yet! I stood before that painting and didn't know that I'd be lucky to have two horses related to him!!