Saturday, September 8, 2007

Horse Sense: Riding a Thoroughbred!

I went to Kentucky for three days in mid-August. While I was there, I visited Claiborne Farms, saw thoroughbred foals at Valentine Hall Farms, saw the granddaughter of Seattle Slew, and stallions related to Dr. Fager, Mr. Prospector, Secretariat, and Danzig. I saw the graves of the greatest stallions in thoroughbred history. I travelled past Count Fleet's large, beautiful home. It was an amazing trip.

And when I came back on Saturday morning, I got to ride my very own slice of history, my beautiful Velvet Tenderness. She was feeling good and sassy because it was a cool morning and she had spent the entire previous day outdoors, eating Ohio green grass! She was pulling and strong, and trotting large. She wasn't naughty, but she was pushing the envelope, testing her power! I was proud to be a part of her heritage, even if I need to learn how to ride with my seat more! ;)

Anway, I ordered Violet her official leather sale halter from Quillan Leather Shop in Paris, Kentucky. That store serves the farms in the surrounding communities, giving thoroughbreds their official tack with the brass name tag. A beautiful halter with a coppery "Velvet Tenderness" will be coming soon!

Here's an amazing fact from Claiborne Farms. Each year, whether they need it or not, every horse get s new leather halter with brass nameplate. They often sell the old ones for charity, but I was just so surprised by that elegant extravagance! Plus as soon as we got into the front office at Claiborne after driving through the gate, we were in this beautiful wood-panelled setting. And I saw three leather halters with brass nameplates hanging in a row right by the door. I leaned down just to take a peek and saw Nasrullah, Princequillo, Buckpasser, in a neat little row. I could just feel the little explosion in my brain. The halters of such three fine horses right there at finger's touch!
I'll post a picture of my Violet's halter when it arrives!