Monday, September 19, 2011

Relaxed Team Renegade and My Poor Fella



Here are photos of me and Renny  after his very first jumping adventure.  That was in very early May and now we are in the first week in June.  He's been just super in lessons, but lately I have been feeling that he's not quite happy.  I wouldn't say he's sour or disagreeable, but I've just felt a little reluctance in him. And I've been saying it for a few days.  But on Monday it came to ahead.  I was in our weekly private lesson with Emily as the teacher because Stacey was on vacation.  And we were working on helping Renny get long and low at the canter -- and we cantered him around and around and around and around in both directions while fussing with half-halts on his face.  He was doing very good, bringing his best heart.  And then we stopped and I chatted with Emily about how to improve our work.  And she said canter again -- and that's when things went haywire.  Poor Renny  felt he'd had enough, so he threw out frustrated little donkey kicks and I had to keep riding him until he quit donkey kicking.  It was a sad moment.  And it underscored to me that I may be a timid rider, but I am his trainer and I am sensitive to his needs.  So, the next two days, I fed him lots of carrots and gave him cool baths and hand grazed him by the pond.  And I took him on a little mellow trail ride.  I am now going to work on letting him enjoy the good stuff he already knows how to do rather than alwasy piling on something new and expecting him to rise and shine to the challenge.  He has risen with his best heart to every challenge and deserves a chance to be loved and respected and cherished for that effort.  I felt blue about this experience, but I know he and I will be all right!