Saturday, June 30, 2007

Horse Sense: Setting Riding Goals!

I am writing this entry on June 3rd, 2007. I purchased Violet last June, so we are coming up on our year anniversary. She was a sweet and quiet filly when I bought her at 3. She's now turned 4 and puts her heart into her work. When I show up, she's kind, focused, and manageable. When I lunge her, she is light on the lunge and floating around. She's smart and watchful. We are working on getting comfortable. I prefer a higher headset than hunters are supposed to carry, so she and I are working on getting a frame and collection and finding a soft spot for her bit. Just lately, I've been able to ride without the jitters and I can feel my shoulders relax and my breathing is easy and my head is up, and I'm starting to hold more firmly with my entire legs rather than gripping with my knees! We are coming along together!! I am glad to have her.

Anyway, here's what I read in this March 2007 Practical Horseman. The magazine article said that you should set riding goals to improve. I'm taking twice-weekly riding lessons and riding 3-4 times a week. The article said that you should be SMART! Set a specific goal that is measurable and achievable. Make sure that goal is realistic and timed! So, I talked with Stephanie, and we are setting a goal of having me canter by August 1st and start over low cross-bars by September 1st. I think this is realistic. My legs are going from "dead" to more active each ride! I am working on having an independent seat and moving her into the bridle rather than snatching at her face when I'm nervous. It helps that I enjoy riding and that Violet is eager to learn how to be an excellent hunter, english pleasure, and lower-level dressage horse. She is ready to please and start her life's work!!
This picture is a painting by Francis Mabel Hollams