Monday, June 25, 2012

Renny's Clover (Mis)Adventures!



So, the week of Renny's first show of 2012 was hectic, let me tell you.  He was in his 5th week of antibiotics for his nose infections.  He just started prednisolone on Monday again. He moved to a new rich pasture.  He got a really bad case of diarrhea beginning on Tuesday.  He had his first riding lesson with Sarah to get ready for his show and his stools were so loose that he had to poop while being ridden -- which he NEVER wants to do.  He had a terrible time getting loaded onto the trailer and so was stressed out when we arrived.  He got ridden by 3 people, starting within 20 minutes of his arrival at the show grounds.  He decided that he didn't like their water and began a drinking strike.  So, drinking less in combination with his really loose diarrhea resulted in a dehydrated pony.  He only got to show in two of his classes -- which he did beautifully in.  And we had to spend the time feeding him gatorade soaked apples, giving him electrolytes.  He had lots of great friends.  Stacey found a giant syringe to force water in him, electrolytes, and even a very nice visiting vet.  Amy gave him 5 full syringes of water which Renny meekly swallowed entirely.  Sarah A. loved on him and fed him peppermints.  And Sarah S. checked his gums for signs of improvements.  He had lots of loving hands and eyes on him.  He was cared for by Ricky who kept telling me kindly that many of the young horses had developed diarrhea that week because of getting on new pasture.  

I was so relieved when we got him home on that blazing hot Sunday.  I put him in his stall and he seemed visibly more relaxed.  I gave him more electrolytes and fed him more apples soaked in gatorade.  And then I went out to the barn early on Sunday morning and was greeted by Ricky who told me to look in his stall -- in his stall he had a giant lake of pee right in the middle and then regular brown full-formed nugget poops.  He wanted his automatic waterers back. I got a text from the owner of St. George who was so delighted that he was better and had been following closely his progress.  And when I saw her again, she gave me advice about how to manage Renny's show travel stress.

I told her that on Wednesday when I pulled him out of his pasture he just looked circular to me -- bloated.  And he was ouchy and cranky.  And she said that it was flowering clover time and that that's what happens to young horses who eat too much flowering clover.  He got diarrhea from his treat.  She gave me advice about how to care for him.  And all I could think is that I'm so very happy to be at St. George where I feel my animals are safe.  

Anyway, this photo is Renny's new travel kit that I've made based on this experience.  It's in a bright red heart-shaped bucket.  And in this bucket you will find a thermometer, a giant syringe, peppermints, probiotic and electrolyte pastes, probiotic treats, and his favorite flavor gatorade for soaking apples.  If you're going to expect great things from a great pony, you've got to manage his game day stresses!  Love my pony.  Love his people.