Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Violet Throws me a Snow Day Curve



Jumping 2.9 in 2012!

This photo and video are from Emily's training ride on Violet on January 3rd.  I'm writing this entry on Saturday, February 11th.  We had a nice heavy snowfall and I went to the barn super early to ride my two horses.  Lessons were cancelled because of the BGSU Equestrian Team show at the University of Findlay.  I rode Renny first and he was worried by the blowing skittering snow and the bright lights at the door and the weird noises.  But Violet decided to throw me a curve.  I lunged her first with her saddle.  And she was super professional.  She was great about upward and downward transitions and listening to my voice and being obedient.  And she was happy to travel up and down the arena and by the gates.  She just threw a couple of wrinkles and bucks into the works for good measure, but she wasn't really committed to them.  And she was paying close attention to my mood.  She was relaxed, but was looking for the memo from me.  So, I tried to keep my butt quiet and my mood light.  And we had a fun ride.  She was great.  We trotted and had a nice light canter.  We worked on half moons, serpentines, and figure 8s.  We used most of the arena and she wasn't too troubled by the gate.  She wanted to lift her right jaw up and away out of my hands, but if I worked at her lightly and not jabbingly, she was happy to work on a long collection.  It was great.  I really liked it, especially the canter. She was a terrific girl.  I kept her inside today because it was bitterly cold, so I'm hoping she's not too wild and crazy tomorrow.  We'll see!