Saturday, July 14, 2007

Horse Sense: Rub your horse with your heart!

Today's posting is from Wednesday, June 13th. I submitted a NIH R21 grant application and then went to the stable for a riding lesson with Stephanie. Violet had been out with her friends on a beautiful summer day, so she was sweet and kind and happy to see me. I groomed her and then we had our lesson! I need to learn more patience with her. She works hard and with generosity! The Natural Horsemanship gentleman, Pat Parelli, says "Flog your horse with kindness." I don't always do that, though I want to! Anyway, we worked on softening her both ways and getting her to drop her poll. And we worked on some very basic dressage patterns. Just so much fun to work on being a team with her! She is lovely, happy, and sweet. We finished our hard-working ride and then I groomed her and she had her dinner. She was happy to go into her stall and was polite and kind. And she was super glad to have her oats and hay!!! Pat Parelli says, "Rub your horse with your heart. Put your heart in your hand!"