Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Shiny Red Boy and His Bright Girl!


Okay, so I'm writing this entry on July 19th and here's a photo of little Ren taken in June. So, here's a funny little story about my man. On Saturday, July 18th, I went out to Showgate after going to the Farmers Market and I was bringing B and Ren out to their side pasture. They hadn't been out in a day, so B was full of herself. She began to rear and crow hop and so I let go of Renny's lead line because I wanted to make sure she made it into the pasture. The line got caught beneath his legs, so he pulled against me and she began to run, so he got excited and broke free of me. Once he realized he was free, he did these high-legged, high-tailed galloping circuits around and around me and then up and down the fence line. He would stop to kiss B and then she would bolt because she was nervous to be on the other side of the fence from him, and he'd start his high-tailed sprints all over again! Totally adorable in the sun, looking like a prized NASPR pony, all athletic and high-spirited. And his expression said it all! In equal measures of glee and fear, his face said, "Grandma! Look at me! Look at me! I'm free! I'm free!" He wanted to be free and then he wanted me to catch him and restore him to his rightful place in the pasture by his B. So, at one point, he did this slow motion sprint by me and put his face by me, so I hooked his halter and he stopped dead in his tracks and went quietly into the pasture. He was so relieved that he rolled luxuriously in the dirt twice in the space of 5 minutes. Happy wild boy!