Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Epona and the Tao of Equus


So, I am writing this entry on March 30, 2010 after a really wonderful amazing day. Here is a photo taken by Vikki Krane in 2007 at Breezy Acres. Today I am writing as a boarder at St. George. I've been reading lots about horses and thinking about having a horse research project, so horses and humans are deeply on my mind. I just finished Linda Kohanov's The Tao of Equus and she writes about how she uses horses in equine-facilitated therapy and how wounded horses can help humans and how horses are deeply connected to the spirit world and how our myths of them emphasize this -- Epona, the Great Mare, she who cares for horses and ponies, the goddess of fertility, she who carries souls on their afterlife ride. And Pegasus who carries mortals to Olympus and when his hoof touches the earth, healing fountains appear. And Kohanov discussed how we can communicate with horses and join their herd.

And I knew this and much more. So, on Sunday, I went to the stable on a very rainy day and just spent the day grooming and resting with my herd. I sat and enjoyed time with them as they dashed around the indoor ring, rolled in the dirt, came over for an affectionate nuzzle and groomed eachother as a set of three, lips twirling and teeth grooming in happiness. And I read the Sunday paper with them.

And then today on a beautiful sunny day, I lunged Hailee and I really felt that I could hear her heart and her views. And I got Violet ready for a private lesson with Stacey. And I can honestly say that Violet and I had our best ride ever. We long trotted, working trotted, collected sitting trotted in lovely relaxed circles, all the while sidepassing inwards and outwards, and we upward transitioned into canters and downward transitioned into trots, and we serpentined and did big looping circles at all ends of the arenas, and we were unconcerned by gates, jumps, and barrels. We were a team, a beautiful, happy communicating team. And Violet held her own head and kept her mouth quietly in my hands and was responsive and with me.

I really feel like we had a breakthrough because I felt in my heart that Violet cares for me and that we're supposed to be together. She and I truly are part of the same herd and brought together in the love of the Great Mare. I can only say that I felt so moved. And I was pleased because I used my hands, seat and legs independently. And I sat straight and sat deeply. And I didn't lean and had my shoulders back. And I carried my head and watched where we were going. I even gave thought to my tongue. Violet and I followed the way of the Horse!!!