Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Breaking News! What a Difference a Day Makes!


Okay, so my post from yesterday suggests that I'm freaking out (which I am). But what can you do? You have to roll. So, I went to sleep in my favorite summer pajamas. I got up, fed the cats, walked Zelia, watered the garden, stirred the compost, drank coffee and planned my day.
And then I went out to the stable by 8am to see the girls and baby. Hailee got her wormer and then baby led the way out to the pasture like a responsible, level-headed young man. Derek, the trainer-in-training, didn't have a speck of trouble from him! And then Violet's leg inspection showed that though things weren't 100% perfect, they certainly were much better than yesterday. Her front legs were not stocked at all and only her ankles were puffy in back a little bit. Her temperature was normal again and she was in good spirits. In fact, when I showed up, she was hanging her head out the window, watching all the fuss that Annie and her baby, Ruthie, were causing as they were led to the pasture! She got another smidgen of bute and then was sent on her way to play in her own pasture with her friend, Sedona. And I just have to say, Sedona is much nicer to Violet than is reciprocated. V gets a little saucy and enjoys her bossy moments with her yearling pal.
So, business handled. I came home, ordered Himalayan salt mineral blocks for the girls, and then decided that I would take stock of my first aid kit over the 4th of July holiday and order new supplies.
Anyway, I really enjoyed my morning with these creatures. It was a slice of heaven. The air was cool, sky blue, lots of sunshine, beautiful green grass. There was a young man there who weedwhacks the fenceline and he came to visit and talk tractors. Renny was good about foottapers, friendly game, and grooming. So, though I am stressed, this moment in time is wonderful. Namaste and protect these creatures!