Monday, October 19, 2009

My Main Man


Okay, so this photo and video are from June 18th and I'm writing this post on June 28th. Today is a beautiful Sunday and I am enjoying the breeze and various birds. I'm enjoying my leisurely Sunday. But for the past two days, I had a few hilarious, but quiet private moments with my main man here, little Renny. He's been put into the far pasture with his girlfriend, B, because they are smaller and presumably will be less hard on the pasture space as the big girls or geldings. But because they are babies, they miss the other herds, so they uniformly hang beneath the shade tree by the creek or walk along the bank, talking to the moms and babies across the way. I am sure little Renny misses being in the baby pasture where he ruled the world as the cutest foal on the face of the earth with the leggiest girlfriend.

Anyway, on Friday, I went to visit him in his pasture and he really milked it. He would kiss and nuzzle me and he and I shared my iced coffee. And each time I tried to leave, he would stand at the fence line and put his cute face over the top rail and just shoot darts of love at me with his beautiful saucy eyes. It took me forever to say my goodbyes that beautiful sunny morning. He was hilarious. And some gnats had bitten his chest, so he just kept rubbing against the fence with his little pushy baby body and then he was just so darn good and happy when I scratched his bites. We get each other. I love Renny. And he loves his grandma.

Then yesterday, he was out in the cool, but very sunny day from 8am to 3pm. So, when I brought him in along the road with his girlfriend, I could tell that they were both tired. Someone was on a tractor and Renny skittered a few beats, but he knew he had to be good for his grams. And so here's the funny part. He got into his stall and unwinded. He had a little snack and drank some water. And he gave greetings and pointed interest ears to all the other horses as they were brought in for the day. And then he listened patiently as Pat and I chatted about life. Until he drifted off in his spacious stall with the shade and cool breeze. So, I walked over and he looked at me with lidded eyes and just soaked up the love and attention and feather pets I gave him on his face and neck. You have not seen a happy pony like my little Ren. A day out in a beautiful pasture with a beautiful filly friend, a loving grandma with your ma and aunt in the stalls next door. All the food and water you could want. And someone to tell you that they love you, love you, love you, as you drift off for an afternoon pre-dinner nap. A happy summer pony.