Sunday, October 25, 2009

We Know We are Cool

So, here's a photo from earlier in June, but I'm writing this post in late June, on an incredibly beautiful Sunday. This morning, I let Jackie and Arcangelo outside to play in the catnip,and sure enough, Arcy just went demented in it. He rolled, grabbed, wrestled with it. He posed in it. He vogued. He showed his big fat belly in glee. He covered himself in purple flower petals. He was quite wanton. So, I saw that they were happy and drifted into the backyard (just for a moment) to put some weeds into my composter. Then I stopped (just for a moment) to look at my peas and beans and to chat with them about their poles. I praised the ones who had grabbed on and who were shooting up ties and encouraged the others who were just thinking about their first latch. And by the time I got back to the front yard, Jackie was gone. I couldn't find him in any of his usual spots and Arcy started getting worried. He would peek out down the driveway and across the lawns from his spot hidden in the catnip. I couldn't find him anywhere, but finally I heard an angry bird just trilling away and I knew that my little rat bastard was just casually walking through a garden one block over and driving a protective nesting brood family insane. Jackie was not sorry and he took forever to come home and by the time he returned, Arcy was gone. But he was more nervous. I found him under fronds in a house 3 doors down and he cricked and meowed and complained to me, but he definitely walked right toward me. He did not want to be punished for his adventure, he just wanted to come home. They were so grateful to walk through their front door and receive their hero's welcome. Big fat losers! ;)