Friday, December 10, 2010

Good News



I am writing this entry on Sunday, September 12th, and this week was a busy one for Jackass and myself.  I was worried about him because he's been losing weight.  But he still has an appetite, is lively and bright-eyed, keeps to his usual routine and seems happy.  He doesn't miss a treat and he eats his meds.  So, I took him for bloodwork on Thursday and his physician, Dr. Amanda, called on Friday and said that his bloodwork was all normal -- his thyroid, creatinine and BUN were all in the normal range, so that we should just keep doing what we're doing!  He can have his medicine-laced tuna snacks, which he loves!  I was astounded, and so happy.  She says that she believes that he does truly have kidney disease in conjunction with hyperthyroidism, but that it's being managed right now, and that he's probably skinny because he's an old guy at 13 1/2!  It turns out that the average life expectancy for indoor cats is 13 years, while others say it is 14-16.  My fella is a wiry old guy!  And I love him!