Monday, May 4, 2009

Derby Day 2009 with My Baby!


This past weekend, I spent my Derby Day like I always do, in the company of my darling thoroughbred, Violet. Here she and I are in the small pasture. Her friend, Angie, is taking the photo. On this day, we went for a cart ride and it was so much fun. She worked hard and I felt comfortable and happy and secure. It was the first drive since I got back from Gayla, so I was very enthusiastic. And she was a trooper, given her little holiday from driving!
Anyway, I have to say that I really love owning a thoroughbred! This year's winners of the Oaks and Derby, Rachel Alexandra and Mine that Bird are only distant relations to Violet, as compared to previous years. But we don't mind! She has at least 7 Kentucky Derby winners in her heritage and 2 Triple Crown winners. She has Belmont and Preakness running through her veins. So, on this day, every year, she gets extra praise and hugs for her special heritage!