Sunday, May 3, 2009

Renny's First Birthday!







Okay, so the past few days have been wonderful. Yesterday, I went to the stable and Barbie and I drove Violet. She was such a good mare. She trotted out sweetly. She trotted swiftly. She was light on the reins. She turned tightly. She did nice big tight circles in a relaxed manner. She was just great. Barbie even gave Montgomery and a friend a drive.

Then Todd and Danielle came to watch the Kentucky Derby and we had a good time. I can't believe that Calvin Borel won the 2007 and 2009 Derby and then this year won the Derby, the Fairground Oaks, the Kentucky Oaks and many other graded stakes. He's absolutely on fire.

Then this morning, a gorgeaus spring cool but sunny morning, I went out to the stable to celebrate little Renny's birthday. He's a big boy now! I can hardly believe it! Barbie, Tom, Monty, Karrington, Doug, Pat, Sarah and Jenny were all out, so it was lots of fun. Then I went home and worked in the garden -- I laid compost, started new compost, planted seeds for carrots, okra, bush beans, climbing beans, peas, mesclun, sunflower seeds, and nasturtium. I put up my towers and fences, weedwhacked, spiked down the fenceline, weeded, mowed, put in screen doors and windows. Things look beautiful! Just beautiful. Here is my richly soiled garden, getting ready for the third summer of vegetables, fruits, and herbs!

When all my work was done, I glanced out the back window at the garden and saw robins and other small birds, resting on the trellises I had put out or skittering along the rich soil looking for worms in my organic garden. And I saw my wheelbarrow resting against my garage, the wheelbarrow I made, and I thought of my little Renny and my wonderful critters, and my garden. I thought about how very glad I was last year this time when my little man was born. He was so small and he was so wonderful. He was truly amazing from the very first flashing second of life. Just love my little pony! Namaste!
And I close this blog entry of birthday celebration with photos taken this morning of the little red flowers I planted the Fall that Renny was growing in his mom. They peeked out before his birth and they were bright and red and happy on the day of his first birthday!!