Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Renny's Big Video Day!


Okay, so on Sunday, September 5th, I went out to the barn early and let my little guy out for 40 minutes.  Then I brought him in to groom and prepare him -- making his socks white and his coat shine and trimming him everywhere.  He was a pony saint, entirely patient with everything.  Then Beth, Kelsey, Coy, Patrick, Emily and Nicole showed up to help with Team Renegade.  Renny posed for his photos beautifully and gave a great conformation shot.  Then he trotted for a hunter photo.  And this is when the excitement happened.  The girth was not tight and Coy had put his coat on a fence right where Ren would trot by.  Ren was trotting up and down up and down like a champion, but at one point, he saw the coat and took a step to the side -- not a shy, but a arching look.  And the saddle slipped.  Kelsey came off and the saddle dragged beneath him.  My dear pony was terrified and jetted around the farm for a number of minutes at top speed.  I was terrified he might run through the barn and hurt himself or run into a metal pump.  In fact, he ripped one of his stirrups off on the pump.  But when he finally stopped, he looked right at me and waited for me to come and get him.  And he didn't take a step away from me, he waited calmly.  And that poor dear pony didn't have a mark on him -- no gouges from the stirrups, no cuts from objects, no mouth wounds from the reins.  He was blessed and cared for by his guardian angel. 

And then the poor pony had to work.  And that wonderful pony gave beautiful perfect video.  He worked a pattern which showed him walking, trotting and cantering in both directions with several full stops, and he would give a perfect square stop and when petted would drop his head in a relaxed fashion.  And he gave his upwards EXACTLY when asked.  It was amazing.  I mean, I have never seen anything like it in my life.  He was better behaved than any horse at St. George.  And this was only after a second ride by Kelsey.  It was a tiny miracle on a blue sky radiant day.

And by the time Renny was done, he had worked officially 4 hours with a terrible scare in the middle.  I was blown away.  He was such a good boy, but man he wanted me to hurry up with his liniment bath and leave him alone, let me tell you!

I love that pony!