Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Week of Apologies...


So, on Wednesday, I just struggled through the day, trying to figure out how to apologize to Violet and make it right.  I bought peppermints, biscuits, carrots.  I went to the barn and she seemed fine.  So, I had a super lesson on the imperturbable Renny and then pulled out Violet and rode her.  And here's the amazing thing -- she was kind and sensible and focused on her work.  And her entire demeanor seemed to radiate an apology to me.  She acted like she had been thinking about what we were trying to do and so we quietly and smoothly did what I had messed up Tuesday -- we walked, trotted and cantered quietly past the gates, we circled nice and round, and we did big looping happy cantering figure 8s with simple changes right on an X, and halts which were balanced toward her hindquarters.  And she also conveyed in the most polite terms that she wouldn't hold on the rein at all if I promised not to hold either -- that she would supple sweetly.  I got off and cried a bit.  Not only did she forgive me and still trust me, but she wanted to be a good girl and do the job right.   So, she got lots of carrots and a big massage and stretching session -- which she enjoyed.  I am grateful for her friendship.