Friday, May 13, 2011

Winter Pony! Improving My Training Skills



My little guy is a wonderful pony.  In lessons, he's just a true sport about going over ground poles and cavaletti.  Even if they are set for a distance for the likes of Parker or Pan, he just picks his distances and pops gracefully through them with his hind end engaged.  And he's so sweet about traffic and circling.  He's really coming along.  But I have not been the best trainer.  Though I am quiet and sweet to him and don't transmit fear or concern to him, I have not been working on a few things that I could and should.  I need to get his canter straightened out and sharpened up -- made more precise.  And I do need to start thinking of a way that I could help him learn a flying lead change.  I will put these on my list of tasks for him!