Monday, May 9, 2011

Winter Pony! My Baby's First Tantrum!




This past Saturday, February 5th, we got a tremendous fast snowstorm with big happy gorgeaus flakes.  I was out at the barn for my morning lesson and by the time I was done riding Renny, we were just getting inches and inches of snow.  My drive home was in a whiteout of snow and it was sort of romantic, if scary.  But the fun thing was that Renny had his first temper tantrum in lessons.  He had to canter all by himself and he didn't really understand what I wanted.  He and I have to work on our upward transitions because I am making him less precise.  He has to move quietly upward from a nice collected trot into a happy agreeable canter.  He's happy to come down into a smooth trot, but we speed up like little demons when we go into the canter!  Something to work on.  Anyway, he got so mad at Grandma!  He kicked out several times to let her know that she's rude and he tossed his head and pinned his ears...but he did try his little heart out.  Everyone at lessons praised him and said that he had been perfect forever and they had wondered whether he had the spirit to be naughty.  Yes, he does!!  I told them that it was all trainer error!  My sweet little winter pony!