Saturday, February 2, 2013

Violet, My Jumping Girl



Here's a July photo and video of my beautiful, but tired girl, Violet.  I'm writing this entry on January 1st.  We've had sort of a difficult Fall because we lost one trainer and got a new one.  I've been feeling out of sorts about jumping and all the changes, so I just backed off.  Violet had been rushing the jumps most of the summer and was strong and fast going into them.  So, I took the pressure off and just worked on dressage and softness and happy free loose carrying gaits.  And then, sure enough, a few relaxed times, I would ask her to jump whatever was set up between lessons and each time, she would jump sweetly and quietly and kindly. And then halt immediately and well just based on the weight of my seat.  I joke around with people that she's just asking for permission to jump again.  She feels that being a good obedient girl is her passport into her hunting life again.  She really is an amazing little mare!