Thursday, May 10, 2007

Arlington Race Track in Illinois!


I earned my Master's of Science degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1988. My friends celebrated with me with some beer on The Terrace by Lake Mendota -- there's even a goofy photo of me looking all girlish, thin, and gleeful on the steps with someone handing me a half-filled pitcher. But my friends decided to do something special to celebrate this new degree. So, we travelled to Arlington Race Track to spend a day at the races. It was such glorious, sun-filled fun! Arlington is a very famous track and holds the Arlington Million and Secretariat Stakes, among other important races. I once saw Penny Chenery, Secretariat's mom, and the young girl who starred in the film, My Girl, giving the trophy to the winner of the Secretariat. You can read more about this great American track at the following links:
or