Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Royal Mews at Buckingham Palance

On my last morning in London, I walked from our hotel at the Claridges down to Buckingham Palace with the intention of getting cash (one of my favorite Euro activities) and seeing the Royal Mews. Well, the Mews made London for me! As I was approaching, a horse drawn carriage came out! The Royal Mews are an active department of the Royal Family. It handles their horses, carriage events, the Trooping of the Colors. It stores many of the state carriages, including the Gold State Coach and the Scottish State Coach, among many others. At the end of the Royal Year, the Queen holds a party at the Mews, with caroling and children, and a sleigh-drawn visit by Santa! 1360 was when the first Master of the Horse was appointed, and the Royal Mews used to be where the National Gallery now stands and before that was at Charing Cross. It was circa 1760 when the Mews were moved to Buckingham Palace by George III. Now, the Riding School is the oldest part of the Mews -- in fact, this riding school was where all of Queen Victoria's children took lessons. I was blown away by the beauty of the Mews. The horses have these tremendously large, clean, airy stalls with sea green tiles on the walls. Just beautiful. The horses are beautiful. The riding school was regal (of course). The Gold State Coach was a mind-blower. And it was at this point, that someone popped up and asked if I would take a survey about my satisfaction with the Mews as a tour destination. Well, you know me, I hate surveys! But I was just about beside myself to praise the wonderfulness of the Mews. It was perfect timing. I was bursting to tell someone how *great* it all was and then this proper courteous survey interviewer pops up! Here are some facts: The Master of the Horse is the third of the great officers of state in the Royal Household. He is very important and handles all things horsey -- he was pivotal at the 1953 Coronation, making sure that the Queen didn't have trouble getting in or out of the Gold Carriage at Westminster Abbey. He doesn't run the Mews daily, that's the Crown Equerry's job, but he does hold periodic inspections! Every time I go to London, I will visit the Mews!!
or
or