Saturday, May 19, 2007

Snowflake and the Wausau Hospital Charity Open Horse Show!


On August 18, 1979, Snowflake and I went with the Hahner family to the Wausau Hospital Charity Open Horse Show. I will never ever forget that day. Snowflake usually shipped like a quiet sweet girl. But on that morning, we parked the trailer under an awning, so when she stepped off the trailer, she was surprised and dismayed by the roofing. She snorted and acted like a little thoroughbred, all high temper and spirit. Mr. Hahner and I were so surprised. And I guess that day, she thought she was all that and a bag of chips! Every class she entered, she entered to slay! We earned 1st in Showmanship at Halter for 14 and older in a class of 10 horses. She earned 2nd in Pony Halter, and we got to go in Grand and Reserve at Halter. We earned 3rd in Open Hunt Seat Equitation on the Flat. We were in a class of 19 horses with thoroughbreds, Quarter horses, and Arabians and she was the only pony. We earned 1st in Pony Pleasure with a class of 3 ponies. My baby sister, Elena, earned 2nd in Tiny Tot Leadline. And I earned 1st in Senior Western Horsemanship 15 and over in a class of 9 horses. My family was so excited. It was an indoor arena and they had someone playing an organ. Snowflake was a driving pony before I got her, so she had this big, bang-up, extended trot. I mean, that girl could work an extended trot. Well, that asked for the extended trot in the equitation class, and one of my sweetest moments in life is when she just floated out all relaxed and happy and sweet and just smoothed past the other horses in a liquid silk way -- and you could just hear that organ playing. She was just zooming all sweet to the sound of music! We would have won that class too, but they asked for a Figure 8 with a flying lead change, and though my pony was handy and sweet, I was a novice rider in her first summer of owning a pony. I could only do a simple change! But what a day! There's a photo of me and her, with our trophies in front of the big sign for the show. And she and I look like the sweet team and champions that we were. God bless that little pony!