Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Thoroughbred care


So, I have a beautiful thoroughbred related to royalty in my care. I am learning how to care for her. This winter-spring, She has had tail-shedding problems and I used a chemical treatment which only made the condition worse. Her tail is considerably thinner and ratty now and she's got a little bald patch on her rear end from where the chemicals touched. Her once beautiful vibrant dark red tail looks poorly. But I am learning to care for this thin-skinned lovely girl. We are working on it. I stopped using the treatment right away and now we're going to do a few betadine baths and then just let nature take its course. This is one instance in which the treatment was worse than the problem! But we are fortunate because she is healthy and strong and she is really enjoying our riding lessons. So, we have a cosmetic problem which we are going to solve! We have a riding lesson today, in fact, and it'll be beautiful weather!