Sunday, March 9, 2008

Blog of Note. Fugly Horse of the Day


Okay, yesterday I stumbled onto a Blog that was started May 2007 around the time I began mine. This person is writing "snarky" commentary about poor breeding practices, dangerous training techniques, careless, negligent, and vicious owners, and equine cruelty, slaughter and rescue. It's a truly amazing blog filled with cranky, no-holds-barred comments about the idiocies and malice in humans toward equines.
I encourage you to read it. Yesterday, s/he wrote an entry about Parelli and the stupidity of throwing money away on overly priced tack and anthropomorphized advice about horses when inexpensive correct equipment and sound principles are the way to go. I mention that as a single entry, but you should check out this blog. S/he uploads people's advertising for their sale horses to show you just how stupid people can be. And she reports on cruelty cases and horses who end up at slaughter and shows the chain of bad indifferent decisions by "well-meaning" people that resulted in horses living miserable, sick, painful lives that are cut short. I hope this person wins an award for this Blog.
Plus I tell you, I am glad I found this blog when I did. This week has been filled with bad news about horses' well-being. Barbie alerted me to a story in the Lexington Herald-Leader this week about the surge in equine neglect cases in Kentucky and the surge in the discoveries of abandoned, malnourished, starved horses. Kentucky experienced a drought this year, so in some places, hay is $8 a bale. Many horses are affected by this problem and a number of charities are now collecting money to try and raise bale money for horses starving around the state.
I pray to God that I am able to care for Hailee and Violet to their end days. I hope that they get security, quality food, grooming, nurturing and care, and medical attention from me all the days of their life. I hope they never know want or danger because of my failings. I ask this in the name...
Anyway, here's the blog link: