Saturday, March 15, 2008

Little Mama! March 15, 2008!



Today was a transitional day for me and my little mama! I went to the stable early in the morning because I had to attend a Grad Recruitment weekend event for our department. I wanted to spend some time with Hailee. I knew that she'd been laying down more, but hadn't really given it much thought. Today, she seemed uncomfortable, understandably, but was glad to have me groom her. She leaned into me when I picked her front feet, and kept putting her back right leg out and stretching like a goofy ballerina. I still didn't put it all together.

Until I brought her out into the ring for her Saturday morning photograph and a light lunge. She laid down immediately. She laid like a horse passed out. She groaned and grunted. She scared me. I called the vet and he said that this behavior was normal. And especially normal for a maiden mare. This moment (5 weeks out) was the time when the baby would start moving around to get in position. That Hailee was feeling pain because of cramps in her uterus and to give her banamine or bute. So, I did. I gave her banamine. She laid down 5 separate times in this flat out, glazed-over pained way, and then suddenly 30 minutes into the banamine, she got up, ate hay, got bright-eared, drank water, passed gas, pooped -- in short, did all the things of a healthy non-colicked horse! I was so relieved!

We're now in the rock 'n roll stages of her pregnancy. The we're locked in, put on your seat belts, get ready for a bumpy ride stage. I went to see her later in the day and she was just fine and had drank a full bucket of water. And then later Stephanie emailed and said that she was tucked into bed and all was well. So, we are blessed. We are getting ready for baby.