Monday, October 6, 2008

Renny's Inspection: The Branding!


Okay, so here was the end of the day experience. At the inspection, you could get your ponies branded with the NASPR logo, if you wanted. Barbie and I were debating having this done and were prepared for a freeze brand, if we were going to proceed.

So, after the Grand Parade when the judges gave their verbal commentary and discussed the strengths and weaknesses -- my judge's main comment to me was that I needed to find another stallion for my Hailee. Anyway, after this Grand Parade, the judge got out a camouflage rifle case and strutted down the center aisleway. We all gave her a look of surprise and she says, "Do not worry. It is not a weapon! It is the brand!" And sure enough, she pulls out a long brand and begins heating it with a flame torch. One mare and one foal were branded. The mare was an adorable dapple grey young three year-old who had jumped the chute with willingness that day. She reminded me in her sweetness of Snowflakes Princess. Anway, she came out of her stall with an expectant obedient look on her face, her entire demeanor radiated, "Okay, daddy! What can I do for you now!" And for her efforts, she received a blazing hot iron poker to her rear. Flames leaped off her hide and she just looked hurt in feelings more than anything. Then a foal got a brand and he too looked surprised. I think his owner felt like crying.

Anyway, so here's why Renny didn't have to suffer a similar fate! As part of our preparations, Barbie and I sprayed my mare and foal with lots and lots and lots of product! They were Champion pepi sprayed with oil-based product. They were Show Sheened. They were baby oiled! They smelled like chamomile and roses by the time we were done and had the lovely oily gloss of Paris Hilton! And someone told us, if you are going to get a brand, make sure you haven't sprayed them with anything. The fire from the branding will set them ablaze.

Barbie and I had a good laugh. I dodged a bullet on the branding decision. Which is good because my Soc 101 students by a landslide voted for branding. As Barbie put it, it would be pretty bad if we went to the trouble to get Renny ready for his inspection only to return home with baby in a small pile of ash cinders in a baggy. After two days of telling me trailer disaster stories, riding class disaster stories, training disaster stories, etc., she said she wouldn't know quite where to file a "I set a foal on fire" disaster story!

So, Renny earned his NASPR rating and returned home with his beautiful chestnut red coat entirely untouched! Happy ending! Namaste!