Friday, October 3, 2008

Renny's Inspection: The Seasoned Traveler!

As you can imagine, the thing I was most worried about was whether Renny would travel safely to the inspection. He had only travelled once before in an open trailer the short distance from Breezy Acres to Showgate Stables. So, I was nervous he might be scared or injured.

But Barbie and Tom made a plan. They were going to put Hailee in the first slot and shut her gate and then let baby have the rest of the open trailer with some hay. I was nervous he might try to climb under her gate or get hurt by Hailee.

But "on the day," as we were getting ready to go, Hailee walked quietly on board and then called out to him in a commanding whinny as he stepped into the barn aisleway. And sure enough, my little brave boy just walked confidently up the ramp. He paused for a heartbeat, but then I stepped forward and put my arm over his withers and told him it was all okay and that I loved him. At this precise moment, Hailee gave a motherly shout and baby walked on in quietly. He was eating hay before we left the driveway!

And then here was my proudest most happiest moment of the entire trip. We got to Windrush Farm later in the evening, around 8:30pm, so it was dark. And when we opened the trailer door, what do you think I saw? Hailee was standing quietly in her slot, and baby was standing next to her with his butt by her face and his face by her butt. And he just looked at us as calmly as you please with his ears forward and an expectant smile on his sweet muzzle. So, I walked in, put on his lead, and he walked quietly and sensibly off the trailer and waited patiently for his mom.

Then we walked quietly through the dark to the open door of the barn and when we arrived, Renny gave a little "Renny's in the house" whinny of greeting which all the mares and foals returned with whinnies of their own. Then he walked quietly into his stall and received his water, grain, and hay happily and sweetly. No cries, no worries, no fretting. Just a hospitable greeting to his friends and a settling in for dinner and bed!

And THEN, the next day was even better, though hard to imagine. When we were ready to leave after the inspection, I was leading Renny up the ramp and Barbie told me to wait a minute while she finished locking in Hailee. Renny stood quietly and waited for his turn, standing on the ramp. And then he just finished stepping into the trailer. He didn't balk. He wasn't upset. He was perfectly calm and agreeable about taking his next very long trailer ride!

And this great loading experience was witnessed by people at the inspection. Someone praised me for my foal's very good behavior! Renny travelled home peacefully and when I peeked at him at a gas station stop, he was standing as before, quietly with his head down, with his rear by his mom's face and his face comfortably by her rear.

When we got back to Showgate, he let me walk into the trailer and clip him as before and walked quietly to the door. He stood at the doorway for a moment, waited for a little pat and a word of love, and then walked quietly off the trailer. He gave me one quick glance as if to say, "Careful Grandma! The ramp is steep and I wouldn't want you to slip!"

He's my brave, sensible, darling boy! And I could NOT be more proud of how well he traveled to his inspection and home. I am a lucky girl!