Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gelding Week! Day 3 -- My Brave Boy!







So, yesterday, I gave my final exam for Jumbo Sociology, Sociology 101. We had a big snow fall the evening before, so it was a wintery wonderland for the early morning final. Then I went out to the stable. Barbie and Lexie were there. I groomed Renny who was in a sort of bad mood because he was feeling lively and didn't want a grooming. He gave a little back leg threat a few times. I was nervous, so I rode Violet and then Dr. Zimmerman and his assistant arrived. His assistant is a young girl named Jackie who is in her first semester in the veterinarian's program at Ohio State University and she was a BGSU alum!!



Renny was curious about the vet, so he was very good about getting his tranquilizing shot. We brought Renny out of his stall and he just looked so little and sweet to me. We brought him into the indoor riding ring and he was down within a minute or so. We put a towel around his head and a towel under his rear. It made me sad to see my little guy laid out and he was giving big deep groans every once in awhile. Not suffering groans, but deep, I'm falling away into deep sleep groans. The procedure was quick to remove his two testicles. We stood around talking for awhile and then the young girl stood up from off his neck where she'd been resting her knees. Renny rolled over onto his belly and stayed still for a few minutes and then Dr. Z patted his rump and Renstood up. He very quickly began looking bright-eyed. We put fresh straw in his stall. And I walked him for awhile.

The surgery happened pretty close to the door of the indoor, facing Hailee'sstall. Hailee watched the whole procedure with close attention. So, Dr. Z and I joked about what she must think about the vet now -- didn't like him to begin with and now this!

Now it is early morning of the 18th and I am going out to see him. I was so stressed out by this procedure that I went to bed at about 5:30pm yesterday. Wiped out! The Valentines are very good to me and my herd. Doug checked on Renny at night and then put him in the indoor ring to spend the night with Sedona, getting exercise. I'm now on my way to the stable to see how he is, watch him eat his breakfast, check his incision, and chase him around. If the weather holds, he gets to spend the day outdoors in the snow with his girlfriends.

Let me just say that yesterday, though worried, I was very happy. I spent the day with good friends and kind people: Barbie, Lexie, Jackie, Dr. Zimmerman, Tom, Doug, and Pat. Namaste.