Thursday, December 11, 2008

Violet Finds Her Calling!

So, I decided that I would try to train Rennyto be a cart pony, but it occurred to me that I didn't know anything about long-lining or carts or harness, etc. But one morning, I had an inspiration: Learn with Violet! She's always eager. She's kind and forgiving. She loves a challenge and wants to please! So, I ordered long-lines for her, and a surcingle for baby and new cavessons for both Violet and Renny!

Anyway, this past Sunday, Barbie and I took Violet out to try her new long lines. And it was hilarious! Violet's reaction was of total sophistication and readiness. She radiated that she was ready to long line and ready for her own royal carriage. Barbie and I laughed at her hipness. So, the next night, I tried long-lining with her again and she was even more fabulous...serpentining, circling, figure-8ing, responding with quietness and voice commands. She's the bomb! I think she's a little bit like Shirley MacLaine. She has past lives and in one of her's she was the Royal Carriage horse for Her Majesty and used on the State Carriage to take royalty to coronations. She acts just that beautiful and special!

And here's another nice little anecdote arising from all of this fun. Next semester is my sabbatical, so I made a reservation for the last week in April to visit the Gayla Driving Center in Georgetown, Kentucky -- a 1,000 acre facility where they teach you how to safely harness, train your horse, pick a cart or carriage for your own needs, and cross-country drive! I am psyched because I'll be staying at their bed and breakfast, visiting the horse farms to see the new foals, and going to Rolex at the Kentucky Horse Park! Namaste! I am proud to be a horse woman!

Oh, here's another small happy anecdote! Last night, I visited my horses and little Renny was taking a nap. He must have been feeling all snuggly because he let me come in and sit beside him and give him a little baby massage while he lay curled up like a kitten! I love my little darling boy! I love my big old Hailee and I sure do love that big red Violet!