Monday, April 12, 2010

Breaking News! Violet Adds a New Talent to Her Repertoire!

Okay, so you know that I am blessed to own a thoroughbred. Every day I am reminded of her unique spiritual gifts. She is intelligent and emotionally gifted. I now know what they mean when they discuss the big hearts of thoroughbreds. If you appeal to her heart and give her love and respect and connect with her, she will give you every ounce of her good will. And she proved it this weekend.

Mind you, I got this mare as a just just just three year old in May 2006 and she was green green green, but obliging. The way she acted, you would think that she had been ridden thoroughout eternity, she was so goodnatured about her nervous scared nellie of a rider climbing on board. And over the years, she and I have learned lunging, jumping while lunging, Parelli, long-lining, pulling a cart, and other fun fun games like calisthenics together -- a special form of joining up.

But I'm not a strong rider (yet) and just now working on strengthening by working in two-point and without stirrups. But Violet seems ready and eager. So, I asked Katie to ride her in a jumping clinic with Jill Jewett, a AA circuit hunter judge, yesterday at St. George. I went to the barn and spent time in the pasture with my girls, trying to draw them. But they were so engaged by the novelty of my art supplies that they huddled around me for love and attention. But then Katie and I got Violet ready and she was glistening. We gave her a good cleaning and I used Cowboy Magic and Pink Spray and Show Sheen. By the time she entered the arena, I was so proud I thought I would burst.

And Katie gave her a nice quiet ride. She was so willing to jump and so quiet and even-tempered that the judge/instructor said that she was a pretty hunter and that she was really game and ready for more. So, Violet not even got to jump over cross rails, but she jumped a double set of verticals too. Color me Thoroughbred proud!!! Love you, Honey! Thanks, Katie!