Friday, April 9, 2010

Equine Owners Appreciation Night!



Okay, so I am writing this on Sunday, January 17th and earlier this week, Tuesday, Westview Veterinary Hospital held its annual equine owners appreciation night. Lexie went with me. They had such nice vendors and the food was yummy. And they had their usual lady give IRS advice to the equine owners. And Drs. Zimmerman and Avery gave talks -- Ryan about features of their wormer program and what they're learning from their conferences about the growing resistance of worms to the worming protocols, Leslie about dental problems in horses and dental care. And then they had a guest podiatry veterinarian, Dr. Bras, from Rood and Riddle in Lexington, Kentucky talking about laminitis. He had a fantastic presentation with video, photos, radiographs showing the development of the disease and potential treatments. I learned so much about how to look for trouble in a hoof. And given that this week, I had just finished reading Crow Planet about how to be a naturalist, a better observer of the world, I really got down and personal with Violet's hooves. And I was happy to see and to know her hooves. I'm going to start the same level of observation with Renny and Hailee too!