Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Violet and Belle

I am writing this entry on Sunday evening, January 17th, a little over three weeks since my Violet had a really bad farrier trim. I don't know why, but she had way too much sole and frog cut and way too much hoof taken off and then far too much rasping of her hoof wall up by her coronary band. It was awful. The entire herd was treated in this manner, but Violet's hooves were the most hurt. They got warm almost immediately and she was ouchy right off the bat. But Todd, the farrier at the barn was very nice and checked her twice over the past weeks and showed me with tongs that she was simply ouchy and not pathologically in trouble. And I talked to Dr. Zimmerman and he assured me of the same and gave me advice about what to look for.

And so, finally, I have five full days of even temperatures in her front hooves and she's lively, naught and rambunctious when I see her -- cantering in the pasture to get away from me and stepping lively. So, today I groomed her and put her into her long-lining equipment and took her into the snowy muddy outdoor arena. And she reacted like a thoroughbred girl who has been on vacation -- she was eager eager eager! She wanted to trot! She was ready! So, I tried to keep it short and keep her walking, so she wouldn't overdo. And when we were done, her hooves were the same temperature and she looked happy! So, I am hoping to begin her over the course of this next week to take on her regular tasks, so I can get back to riding!!!