Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Baby Columbine

So, I love columbine and each year a little patch of it pops up here and there.  But this year, I'm having some troubles.  This one giant columbine I had just got uprooted and then another one got trampled by Zelia because it was in a high traffic zone.  And the many many packets of columbine seeds I've planted over the past two years, don't seem to be yielding anything.  So, each year it's a struggle to nurture this species.  But here's a new little recruit that popped up this year beneath my Maple treet.  Which reminds me, I once told my friend that I was having a hard time identifying the tree in my backyard.  And he asked me, is the leaf shaped like a Maple Leaf like on the Canadian flag.  I said yes.  He said, "Well, then it's a Maple Tree."  Excellent.