Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Space Warrior Thoroughbred

I was worried about Violet's eyes, so I found her fly mask.  She likes it immediately.  She seemed to have perfect clarity about what the mask was for.  I think the bright sun must have been bothering her eyes.  Anyway, this girl is learning a new talent with eager calm.  She and I have been taking jumping lessons regularly now.  I am no pro, but I will say this -- I can jump an entire course of cross-rails (low ones) at a canter, and I can do a lesson where I do a circle of jumps at a canter several times.  I am working on getting the roach out of my back and the curve out of my shoulders and the hovering problem of wanting to hold her harder than I should.  I need to get stronger.  But Violet is a natural talent!  She is eager about the work and straight and true and enthusiastic.  She has no interest in balking or stopping at the jump.  She moves true and swift and calmly to and over them.  And if I look in the right direction, she is happy to land on the right lead.  She's a sweetheart!  What's funny is that sometimes, she just randomly likes to jump way bigger than she needs to!  She's probably imagining herself at Rolex!  What a good beautiful girl!  I love her.  And because of Cheri, Baker and Stacey, I can say that I know what it feels like to ride a thoroughbred over jumps, my own beloved sweet red thoroughbred!