Monday, August 23, 2010

Violet, Me and Team Tenderness!



Here is a video from early Spring, of Violet being a game young girl for Jill Jewett's clinic with Katie Pohlman.  Lots has happened since then.  Violet and I started jumping and we have gone over crossrails and verticals.  She's a wonderful square honest girl.  I've been loving it!  But actually, she's become so good at it that I am going to have to become a stronger rider and develop my core. 
Violet gets eager and excited and wants to rush the jumps a bit. She's not being naughty; she just really loves jumping.  Her entire energy is that she's willing to go up to and over that jump!  But because she's so fast, I'm a bit nervous, so I have to work on having a very solid seat and an appreciation for her good energy.

Anyway, I am writing this right after July 4th and I've had a great week with the herd.  I saw Ashley ride Violet in a lesson and Violet worked 6 days in a row.  Over the holiday weekend, Violet and I worked on jumping and dressage patterns.  And I can honestly say that she and I had a breakthrough.  She's finally really getting what it means to give her face softly without locking her jaw and to work hard to be responsive to my leg without leaning on it.  She is happy to get off my leg when she wants to lay on it and throw down.  In fact, last night at lessons, Stacey said she had nothing to say, we were working so well at our spiraling circles!