Thursday, April 5, 2012

Jumping with My Gorgeaus Thoroughbred!



Lately, I've had a bit of fear about jumping Violet again.  The fear just sort of snuck up on me.  So, I am trying to get back to basics again.  I had a great jumping lesson with Jill Jewett, a jumping instructor from the University of Findlay's English Equestrian Program.  And she told me that I needed to work on straightness, rhythm, and suppleness, but that when I was jumping, I needed most especially just to keep on saying "heels, heels, heels."  And let me tell you, that latter piece of advice helped a great deal!  It forced me to really push push push those heels down and when you're doing that most every other part of your body falls into line AND your hands become more attached and following with your elbow.  So, I can feel Violet speaking to me more clearly.  It's a wonderful thing.  So, anyway, because I stand in my stirrups and because I lean forward and curl my shoulders and because I'm nervous, I convey to Violet that I would like to rush the jumps.  So, she's very responsive.  She will listen to my half-halts and stop on a dime after jumps.  But we are working on me sending her a clean message of the same quiet pace please!  And we are having lots of fun.

Another nice thing about this whole process is that Emily has been helping Violet tap into her own talent -- helping her jump smoothly, responsively, responsibly, and higher!!  Violet loves it!