Saturday, November 3, 2007

Horse Sense: Going Bitless

I am writing this Blog on October 5th, the morning after a 35 minute ride on my baby girl. I've come to a decision. I don't remember how long ago, but sometime ago, I looked in Violet's mouth and noticed that her bars are discolored. Now, for the life of me, I can't tell whether they are bruises or whether it's part of her mottling. But given my heavy, inconsistent hands, and her heavy head, I bet it's bruises. I might as well read the evidence and show love and leadership.

When I ride Violet she's so good and kind and dependable. Just this week, she let me sidepass her up to a gate and she stood there while I leaned down and fastened the chain. She's a tremendous girl. But she's inconsistent and resistant about picking up a trot and she sometimes just puts her face way down or twists away from my hands. When I put the bridle on, she puts her face all the way to the ground while I fasten the chin and throatlatches. And she mouths and yawns and yaws.
I think her mouth bothers her. I think she might be in some pain. When Dr. Zimmerman came to see her before, I asked him to look at her teeth and mouth and he said that all seemed just fine and well. But when he comes on October 31st for her booster shots and checkup, I am going to have her do a thorough evaluation of her face. Poor girl.
And that's when something changed in my heart last night. I don't like bits. I don't think I have good hands. I think it's a bad combination to put a metal bit in my girl's mouth and have my hands at the tugging end. I am ordering a bitless bridle and giving her until next summer to see how we like it. I want a happy willing partnership with her, not a resistant one where she loves me but wonders why I hurt her. That's it for now, more later.
THE MORE LATER PART: It's early morning Saturday, November 3rd now. Dr. Z saw her this week and said that it was mottling and that her mouth is fine, no underlying conditions, no injuries. So, that's good! But I still really like my bitless bridle and I'll be reporting about it occassionally over the next few weeks. It was a good idea. She's settled down, no more yawing and pulling, she rides with her head more consistently level, and she's just as sensitive to aids with the bitless bridle, and she's become less resistant, more eager about transitions upward and down. My trainer says go back to the bit, but for sure I am staying on the bitless bridle at least through winter and spring, maybe longer. She and I need to work at collection and flexion with the bitless, but I know we can get there!