Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Thoroughbred Care -- Day 5, Sticking to the Plan!


So, yesterday I was feeling blue, I've been feeling sad for the past few days really. Who knows why? Maybe change of seasons. But a dear friend took me to dinner, told me funny stories, and let me chatter foolishly. It was just what the doctor ordered. I felt put back together with friendship.
But! I missed Violet's pre-dinner wormer routine. So, I went out to the stable last night at 8:30pm and caught my girl asleep. She was so very cute. I never go to the stable at night, so she was all confused, but happy to see me. Like a big red kitten. She totally looked bleary-eyed. Anyway, she was very good about her 5th and final tube of Fenbendazole (Panacur). I am really crossing fingers that this treatment clears up her strongyles. We'll find out in two weeks!
Here's what I've decided. I've been on a IPI/OPO schedule -- Ivermectin, pyrantal pamoate, oxibendazole, with a fall Questplus thrown in. But that's NOT the schedule recommended by Dr. Zimmerman.
He recommends the following:
January: Ivermectin
March: Quest Plus
May: Fenbendazole 50mg/kg for 3 days
July: Ivermectin
September: Fenbendazole 50mg/kg for 3 days
November: Quest Plus
I'm going to follow his recommended schedule for both Violet and Hailee, and get his assistance for dealing with Hailee's possible parasite condition after her 2 years running wild! And I'm moving to a routine fecal examination to see how the deworming program is working!
Namaste!