Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thoroughbred Care -- Day 1 of 5 of Panacour

Yesterday, Dr. Zimmerman visited Violet and took a stool sample. His office called back and said that she tested positive for strongyles and that they would send along a 5-day treatment. Here's a photo of the treatment -- a huge giant ginormous tube of Panacour -- and she has to take the whole dose, 5 tubes, over 5 days.

Today was day 1. Dr. Zimmerman's office is very efficient. They mailed it yesterday, though I talked to them at the very end of the day, and it arrived today! And when I called them after 5 about the dosage, they had wonderful information and sensible guidelines. So, I went to the stable and delivered her first dose. She was a good patient and very trusting. I just love that girl.

So, here's the bad news. My Horse Owner's Veterinary Handbook says that strongyles are a species of roundworm which are the most harmful and damaging to horses. They get into the blood stream, into the circulation system, into the gut lining, into organs. They can cause damage to kidneys, liver, and pancreas. They can cause colic, anemia, aneurysms, and thromboses. Of course, this news is upsetting to me. But I have her under regular care and I follow a very careful IPI-OPO with Questplus in the fall worming program, so I know she's getting oxibendazole, pyrantal pamoate, and, of course, the all-important strongyle killing ivermectin. We are just dealing with a shortterm problem! I will send another stool sample to Dr. Zimmerman in a month or so and find out good news about my very healthy girl!