Saturday, December 15, 2007

Touch Your Horse with Your Heart! -- Driving from Zone 3!

So, Violet and I are playing at Level 1. She is very good at yo-yo, porcupine, and driving. And she and I are now working on picking up her hooves from one side, gently encouraging her to put her head all the way down to the ground, and driving from zone 3 -- which means using the carrot stick lightly over her withers and walking with purpose with her moving lightfooted and sure toward a destination I am looking at.

She is terrific about the hooves and her head. She has been giving her head in that way from the very beginning! But we are pretty funny at the driving from zone 3 game! I am *not* supposed to look at her, but I always do -- then she looks at me and we are both thinking, "What!? Why are you looking at me?!" And she is just wondering when we are walking purposefully, why we are purposefully walking with great energy toward a wall, etc. But, you know, she finds it fascinating and I get a big kick out of it too! And Violet is one smart thoroughbred, let me tell you!