Saturday, February 2, 2008

Little Mama! February 2, 2008!




Yesterday, I went to visit my girls in the morning. I groomed Hailee until she gleamed a rich deep brown. We played friendly games with her stick foal. And I am proud and happy to say that she let me touch her with my hands several times. A few times she tried to stomp and swish her tail, but she was good. She let me hold her.
And then today I went to the stable and she was even better. She is completely calm about the stick foal and let me handle her with my hands, pull at her, milk her, and be assertive from both sides. She didn't fuss or swish her tail. She was a good solid quiet broodmare girl!
She was good for the farrier. She was sweet and calm and happy to be with me. She looked at me with a soft and trusting eye. We have made such progress since she arrived last November. We know in our hearts that we care for each other. She's my girl and I'm her girl.
I am so proud of her this week. We worked the friendly game five separate times this week and in the last two times, she let me handle her myself. I am very happy to work on grooming, foal introductions, talking to her sweetly and lunging in the weeks ahead to prepare her for her foal. She just looks terrific. I want her to trust and respect me when she makes the transition to caring for her foal, so that she knows that I will help her and keep her comfortable, safe, and well fed!

As for my other sweet darling girl, Violet, well she is just a pistol. She's got that thoroughbred 'gator mouth, so I stopped at TSC this morning and got her an apple toy and a ball toy. She helped me hang them in her stall. And she was more interested in the twine, of course, I used to hang her toys than the toys themselves. I used handsoap to soap the wood by the feedbin area where she's been chewing and this intrigued her immensely. She's such a smart, sweet, intelligent girl. Such a sociable darling girl.
I am the luckiest woman on earth. I have two wonderful, loving horses in my life. And soon I'll have a foal to love. Namaste! This Little Mama Day is a wonderful one!