Sunday, February 3, 2008

Tiny Hoofprints! The end of big week!

So, on Monday, Dr. Zimmerman came for Hailee's 9 month check-up. As reported, he said that she looked fit and well and was just where he wanted her. But he told me I needed to prepare her for her foal. I hadn't realized just how scared I was until my reaction to his comments.

As you know, that night, I went to Joann Fabrics and bought materials to make a stick puppet like a foal's nose, and over this week worked with Hailee. She's such a smart horse, so very smart. The first two days, she was afraid of the puppet and kicked and shimmyed and skittered. On the third day, she accepted the stick puppet and reacted like it was a natural part of grooming -- a relaxing flannel rubdown.

And then on Day 4, H let me touch her with my hands too. And on Day 5, she let me really pull at her, "milk" her, and push her about with my hands. And today, on this wonderful Sunday, Day 6, we didn't even start with the foal puppet or even very much warm-up. Just a friendly rub along her body and then my hand pulling and pushing at her. I pulled at her soft flesh by her stifle and made sure that I touched fumblingly like a foal would.

And my Hailee just stood casually with not a bit of nervousness in her at all, no pinned or questioning ears, no cocked foot, no flashing tail, no stiffness anywhere. In fact, she stood relaxed and peered out the window while I played this very personal friendly game!

So, you can imagine how I feel! Headbobber treats for everyone. Both my girls had handmade molasses, oats, carrots, and apple treats today because without doubt, they are very good girls! I am really proud of Hailee.