Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend -- Renny Prepares to Wean!

So, my little guy is getting old enough to wean. I would like to wait until he is about 6 months old, but we have to take into account all the factors. Ruthie is ready to wean and I want Renny to have a buddy. Plus he has to go to his inspection at the end of September, so it would help if he were a little more independent.

Anyway, this coming week is the big event! I want to sterilize his new big boy stall. I want to make sure that he is healthy and ready. I gave the mares their fenbendazole this weekend, and little Renny got his first dose of Ivermectin. He is 324 pounds now! He was very good about taking his wormer, I was very proud of him! Not much else to report. I am a little nervous about his weaning because he's an adorable little guy, but he does have to grow up, I suppose. Today I took Hailee across the creek to graze on the other side. Here's a photo of Renny a little uncertain about what to make of it all! I sat in the grass, listened to the trees rustle, felt the cool breeze. It was awesome. And when I took her back across the creek, she jumped lightly and was ready to return. And her baby guy walked purposefully up to her and nursed right away, long and noisily. He must have been relieved!