Sunday, September 21, 2008

Who is this Grandma person?


Here are two photos taken in the minutes after we began weaning on September 4th. And the video is from the next day. I am writing this entry on Sunday, September 21st, so time has passed. My little guy is dirty, scruffy, has a pot belly from a dose of worms he had, and doesn't shine and look elegant like in these photos. These photos make me a little sad because he just looks like he doesn't quite trust me.

But I can say this, the past few days have been wonderful. I spent several hours at the stable yesterday, practicing braiding Hailee's mane, enjoying Renny, watching the mares gallop and trot and fake fight in the pasture. I brought everyone carrots from the Farmers Market. My farrier came and did a beautiful job on hooves. I visited with Barbie and Tom who were up from Kentucky. Tom was busy replacing mats in the stalls. And I said my goodbyes to the fabulous Derek who is going back to school to finish his last two quarters in the equine management program. Yesterday was a slice of heaven.

And then today, I stayed home for the first Sunday in a long time and worked on papers, canned raspberry jam, and cleaned my house and yard. And Barbie called me in the mid-afternoon to say that she had let the babies out into their pasture, and she and Chelsea had guided the four mares down the road over the bridge to the large pasture on the other side of the creek. She said all the girls behaved and were so glad to go to a new place. Violet went bonkers and galloped and galloped all happy with herself in the beautiful cool sunny day. And Hailee, of course, put her head down immediately to graze. I was sorry I hadn't seen that sight! The four mares on fresher grass, feeling their oats, and Violet pulling out the thoroughbred card. Again, it makes me so happy to think of V happy.

But anyway, I still feel sad that I weaned so early, but I know baby is okay. He just had a rough few weeks with the weaning and worms. But it's all going to be good.

The farrier, Rick, said that Renny was the best stud colt he'd ever worked on! And Tom praised him too. And there really was no way you could not praise him. He came up to me at the gate when I went to the pasture to get him. He walked quietly to the stable, though his girlfriend cried for him and ran around, and he stood patiently and quietly while his hooves were trimmed. He definitely did not act like a four year-old foal. Then he took a little break and had a bit to drink, a little hay, and some quiet moment in his stall, before he went out again to enjoy his time with his girlfriend!

This week, we are going to get ready for our inspection! I've got to clean baby (who is so dusty you would not believe), get Darla to braid them both, and give Hailee a bath. I am just going to enjoy my big inspection adventure. I know my foal will do a great little job!