Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weaning: What the?


Okay, here is a photo and video from the first ten minutes of weaning. I wish I could have gotten some video for you today, the Thursday a full week after weaning. Everyone is rock solid. Today I arrived at Showgate after finishing up my Full application and Violet and Hailee were standing around embracing each other and resting in the sun. Renny was in his stall relaxing because he'd been brought in when he got hot and tired and thirsty.

He and I took a walk along the back wall with Tucker with us. Tucker burst into the corn like a monster and my baby was only a bit surprised. He knew he was okay, he was with grandma! So, he walked boldly all along the barn to the back arena where we stopped and stood patiently to talk with Darla, Lexie and two horses! Then we continued on our way to cross the trail logs and bridge, walk along the grass walkway with trees and then follow the tractor path into the woods. Every step he just radiated confidence in grandma. His expression was "where to next, Grams!?" We had a blast. Then I brought him into the stable along the show side and when he got back to his stall, he took a big drink of water.

We played Friendly game, foottappers, the Porcupine game, and then I just sat quietly and watched my man eat his hay.

I visited both my girls too and they look just fabulous. Haileecouldn't be more glossy and dark, and Violethas decided to play her thoroughbred card to the hilt this week. She looks like she belongs at Claiborne Farms, she's so shiny and lovely!

The only downer note in what was a perfect day is that Renny's stool sample shows that he has strongyles. He'll have to go on a three day round of Panacur at twice his weight dosage to kill those worms!

But there's even a silver lining about that news. I think that I have very good intuition about my horses. For example, I told Dr. Z that Violet was very thoroughbredy and full of herself and 5 seconds later she tried to kick him. Twice! I tell the vet that I am worried about Renny becaues he's got a pot belly and he rubs his tail and Boom! His stool sample shows worms. I am observant. I am a good member of my herd. I am the nurse. This makes me happy. Namaste.